Re: Driver Merge Questions

Hello Amit,

Thank you for the information.

The driver is just about finished actually; I was going to do some final testing and pull and submit the patches today. I read the lkml.org source and it definitely seems like things are in a state of limbo at the moment (well, as of a few months ago) with regard to sensor drivers. So, should I submit the code as-is and work on changing it as necessary with the help of the community, or do I step back and modify for the iio subsystem before submission? Alternatively, since the code was originally written for the 2.6.29 Android kernel, should I submit the current version of the driver to that branch first? Please let me know.

Thank you,
Chris

Amit Kucheria wrote:
On 09 Nov 03, Tony Lindgren wrote:
* Chris Hudson <chudson@xxxxxxxxxx> [091103 06:48]:
Hello all,

I've never submitted any software to Linux before, but I've been
working on some new accelerometer drivers that should be ready for
review soon (pending company approval).  I've read lots of
documentation on patch and driver submissions, but I still have some
questions that I was hoping someone could help me find the answers
to.

1- My drivers use i2c for hardware communications, miscdevice for
IOCTLs, and input_dev for data and interrupt status outputs.  Most
of the other accelerometer drivers that I've looked at use similar
designs and are located in drivers/hwmon, but I just wanted to
confirm that this is the correct location currently.
Sounds correct.

Unfortunately it will probably get rejected in drivers/hwmon. The maintainer,
Jean Delavare wants them out of hwmon[1]. It seems that everyone (for the
moment) is leaning towards a new subsystem called industrial IO
(drivers/staging/iio) for such drivers.

Please ask Jean before you do the work to make your driver behave like a hwmon
driver.

Regards,
Amit

[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/7/2/153