Driver Merge Questions

Hello all,

I've never submitted any software to Linux before, but I've been working on some new accelerometer drivers that should be ready for review soon (pending company approval). I've read lots of documentation on patch and driver submissions, but I still have some questions that I was hoping someone could help me find the answers to.

1- My drivers use i2c for hardware communications, miscdevice for IOCTLs, and input_dev for data and interrupt status outputs. Most of the other accelerometer drivers that I've looked at use similar designs and are located in drivers/hwmon, but I just wanted to confirm that this is the correct location currently.

2- I have done all of my hardware testing with OMAP development platforms, so I thought it would be best to send my patch submissions to this list for review. The hardware monitoring tree is listed in MAINTAINERS as an orphan, but I was planning on including lm-sensors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx as well. If either of these assumptions is incorrect, please let me know.

3- Should my patch set consist of source, header, kconfig, and makefile patches, or should I include my custom changes to mux.c, mux.h, and board-zoom2.c as well? The former are necessary for adding driver support, but the latter are specific for my hardware testing platform (which others may want to duplicate for testing purposes). I noticed that recent versions of board-zoom2.c are nice and clean, so it's probably not a good idea to wedge infrequently-used code in there with a bunch of #ifdefs. I just want to get an idea of what is generally included with a new driver.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris Hudson
Kionix, Inc.