Re: Question about drm/omap: Remove panel-dpi driver

On 02/12/2019 14:59, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
>> The da850-evm uses the same panel as the am3517-evm, but it's not
>> using the same video driver, and I haven't had a chance to see if that
>> driver still exists or not.
>
> The tilcdc driver is still present in the kernel (I'm not aware of a
> plan to remove it), and uses a similar panel support hack as the omapdrm
> driver. I think it would make sense to fix it at some point, but I have
> no plan to do so myself at the moment.

No, there is no plan to remove tilcdc in foreseeable future. AM335x is
still quite popular in many application.

Yes, tilcdc still has the bundled panel driver in it as it is the only
feasible way maintain dtb backward compatibility. However, tilcdc is
also capable to use standard drm panel drivers.

Actually, this reminds me that I should update the am335x-evm dts to use
panel-simple instead of the bundled driver, now that the
"tvc,s9700rtwv43tr-01b" panel-simple support has reached the mainline.

Best regards,
Jyri

--
Texas Instruments Finland Oy, Porkkalankatu 22, 00180 Helsinki.
Y-tunnus/Business ID: 0615521-4. Kotipaikka/Domicile: Helsinki