Re: Question about drm/omap: Remove panel-dpi driver

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 9:08 PM Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Adam,
>
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 08:14:43PM -0500, Adam Ford wrote:
> > I know it's been nearly 9 months this this was removed, but for those
> > of us who still define our displays in the device tree expecting the
> > dpi-panel, we're not getting video.
> >
> > The commit message only states:
> >
> >     Panels are now supported through the drm_panel infrastructure, remove
> >     the omapdrm-specific driver.
> >
> > It does not give examples of how to do this, and I feel like we should
> > have been given some warning or indication.  Is there an example I can
> > follow for linking a dpi panel into the omap DSS?
>
> Sorry to have left you with non-working systems :-(

I have really only been following the omap-linux mailing list and only
really focus on the LTS kernels because my employer uses the LTS
kernels as the basis for the their linux distributions. If there is a
different mailing list I should follow, let me know.  I just wish it
would have been marked as deprecated or something before just being
killed.

> If the panel is supported by a mainline DRM panel driver the change
> should be transparent (provided of course that the driver is compiled in
> the kernel or as a module). Most panels are supported by the
> panel-simple driver (CONFIG_DRM_PANEL_SIMPLE), with a few dozen of other
> panels supported by dedicated drivers (in drivers/gpu/drm/panel/)
>
> Could you point me to the DT sources of one (or all) of the affected
> systems ?

Sure,
The same panel is used on these these two boards:
logicpd-som-lv-baseboard.dtsi
logicpd-torpedo-37xx-devkit-28.dts

A second panel is used on:
logicpd-torpedo-37xx-devkit.dts which has the LCD timings defined in
logicpd-torpedo-baseboard.dtsi
The am3517-evm also uses the same timings, but the gpio enables are different.

The da850-evm uses the same panel as the am3517-evm, but it's not
using the same video driver, and I haven't had a chance to see if that
driver still exists or not.

Thanks for your quick response.
:-)

Sorry if my e-mail came across angrily, it wasn't my intention.

adam