Re: OMAP35XX SGX Driver and hwmod

On 18 August 2016 at 21:19, Adam Ford <aford173@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Since the AM33xx is similar to the DM3730 and they have the same SGX
> core and revision, I was hoping much of the code would be able to be
> adapted.

The am335x is not really similar to omap3 (including dm3730),
especially not with regard to PRCM and interconnects. The SGX core
however is, so kernel drivers should be mostly reusable. Userspace
libs too, except when they depend on LCDC vs DSS, which means the
am335x libs won't work but the am437x libs very well might.

You should check the TRM for relevant PRCM stuff, not copy/paste from
the am335x. Or check an older kernel where sgx worked if you have one.

As for drm, it should theoretically be possible to convince these
shiny new libs to work:
https://git.ti.com/graphics/omap5-sgx-ddk-um-linux/trees/ti-img-sgx/1.14.3699939/targetfs/ti437x
with corresponding kernel drivers in:
https://git.ti.com/graphics/omap5-sgx-ddk-linux/commits/ti-img-sgx/1.14.3699939/k4.4

If using the latter kernel driver tree you may need to dig around to
check for omap3-related ifdefs that potentially might have been broken
by later commits (since TI stopped caring).

Note that with "convince to work" a machete and thumbscrews might
still be involved, but on the other hand it might also Just Work... if
you can get the kernel part to work at least.

Matthijs