Re: Power saving / Power usage of the OMAP5

On 03/29/2016 08:21 PM, Michael Mrozek wrote:
> Am Tue, 29 Mar 2016 17:41:04 -0700 hat Tony Lindgren <tony@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> geschrieben:
>
> Hi,
>
>>> Further, a ton of effort in productizing OMAP3 and 4, which is
>>> completely missing in OMAP5. Almost most of power management as has
>>> been functional during OMAP3/4 has been descoped - making it more
>>> inline with DRA7 is the best hope of moving things forward on
>>> OMAP5.
>> Yeah well, like you say, there is still quite a bit of PM related
>> synergy between am57xx and omap5. Many of the devices are the same and
>> are using same PM runtime for clock gating also on am57xx.
>
> If that's the case, then we should follow the am57xx development and
> see if we can grab some stuff here.

AM57 and DRA7 are more or less the same thing from a s/w view of the
world. I do have a few more descope patches to send upstream, but I am
holding off on that since the promised TRM and data sheet update that
was supposed to happen in March seems to have skipped that update, and I
dont plan on posting code not backed by TI official documentation.

>>> From TI's perspective, despite a few of us community involved folks,
>>> there is very less interest in investigating all the missing
>>> features on OMAP5 at this point in time.
>> Right, so for omap5 PM, it's mostly the omap5 PRCM related parts that
>> are missing. And am57xx is not using PRCM which explains the TI
>> perspective.
>> So nothing stopping the community people from adding PM support for
>> omap5 as needed and as long as there is interest.
>
> Well, are all the PRCM available to the public?

Yes, it should be. PRCM is a module inside the SoC that is responsible
for Power Reset and Clock Management (hence PRCM).. all TI public TRMs
based on SoCs using PRCM have it already.

> We probably have them in our datasheets, but can the community add the
> support?
It is all there.

--
Regards,