Re: Power saving / Power usage of the OMAP5

On 03/29/2016 01:26 PM, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Michael Mrozek <EvilDragon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [160328 16:16]:
>> Hi,
>>
>> as we now have the first prototypes running so far, I was able to do
>> some testings with them.
>>
>> Right now, the OMAP5 seems to eat quite a bit of power, even when
>> basically doing nothing (a LOT more than the DM3730 or OMAP3 uses).
>>
>> Having it idling around doesn't use less power than running LibreOffice
>> and typing a text, for example.
>>
>> Right now, I get about 6 - 7 hours of usage with a 6000mAh battery (and
>> everything enabled), whereas I have about 8 hours with a 4400mAh
>> battery (and also everything enabled) on the Pandora.

Unfortunately OMAP5 or DRA7 SoCs are no longer focussed on hand held
world. Sorry, TI exited mobile business some years back - OMAP5 was one
of the causalities.

>> I think Nikolaus mentioned at some time that power saving features for
>> the OMAP5 are missing in the kernel (SmartReflex maybe?), so I wanted
>> to check for the status about that and what can be improved.
>
> Well some PM features work for omap4, so getting to the same point
> with omap5 should be doable. We need to check the various IDLEST
> registers to make sure various devices are idled, and then the hardware
> should start entering deeper idle states depending what support is
> implemented for the SoC.
>
> The device drivers for most part already idle things using kernel
> PM runtime. And roughly the steps to get the device to hitting deeper
> idle states is:
>
> 1. Disconnect USB cable(s)
>
> 2. Unload ehci-omap and ohci-omap3
>
> 4. Configure UART timeouts
>
> 5. Blank the display
>
> And then it's up to what is implemented for the SoC to for the idle
> modes, which certainly needs work for omap5.
>
> The autoidle timeouts for UARTs can be enabled with something
> like:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> uarts=$(find /sys/class/tty/tty[SO]*/device/power/ -type d)
> for uart in $uarts; do
> 	echo 3000 > $uart/autosuspend_delay_ms 2>&1
> done
> uarts=$(find /sys/class/tty/tty[SO]*/power/ -type d 2>/dev/null)
> for uart in $uarts; do
> 	echo enabled > $uart/wakeup 2>&1
> 	echo auto > $uart/control 2>&1
> done
> echo 1 > /sys/kernel/debug/pm_debug/enable_off_mode
>
>> In theory, the OMAP5 should use less power for the same tasks the
>> DM3730 or OMAP4 can do, but use more power for more CPU usage (which
>> sounds logical).

Not really logical - comparing A15 vs A8 and completely different
process corners behaviors are not comparable.

>> Right now, it seems the kernel is fixed to 1GHz and 1,5GHz (or 500Mhz
>> and 1GHz on our kernel, as we changed the settings).

I suggest to read the operating conditions Addendum (NDA) for OMAP5 to
better understand what OPPs are actually "expected to be function" -
going out side those discrete points are basically  "You are on your own".

>> If I understood correctly, it only uses these settings.
>> Does that mean it will always use at least the power it needs to run at
>> 500Mhz? AFAIR, the DM3730 / OMAP3 can go down to around 30Mhz.
>
> The dm3730 can do < 10 mW while running and idle with WLAN connected
> with the mainline kernel.. But not with libertas_sdio, that seems to
> have no PM support :)
>
> Not sure what kind of numbers omap5 should be able to get, but my
> guess is we should reasonably easily get to 500 mW with LCD blanked
> and device idle as listed above. That's what omap4 pandaboard es
> seems to measure at with current mainline kernel, so I don't see why
> omap5 could not do the same.

Lets get somethings out of the way here: OMAP5 is NOT OMAP4. Other than
the technologies that are completely different, there has been quiet a
bit of descopes on OMAP5 Vs previous generation SoCs. Further, a ton of
effort in productizing OMAP3 and 4, which is completely missing in
OMAP5. Almost most of power management as has been functional during
OMAP3/4 has been descoped - making it more inline with DRA7 is the best
hope of moving things forward on OMAP5.

>From TI's perspective, despite a few of us community involved folks,
there is very less interest in investigating all the missing features on
OMAP5 at this point in time.

>> So the question is, how can we improve that?
>>
>> * Add more voltages so it can scale better? (how low can the OMAP5 go?)
>> * Is SmartReflex active, can this be checked? Is that something that
>>   can be improved?

AVS Class 0 is the POR for the same.

>> Idling around, the Pandora can hold up to 40 hours... so the Pyra
>> should be able to do more with a 6000mAh battery.
>>
>> And at least my Smartphone with an OMAP4 can idle for over 20 hours with
>> a 1500mAh battery, the OMAP5 can't be that much different.
>>
>> What are we missing here?
>
> I've added linux-omap, Tero and Nishanth to Cc as they may be able to
> provide some more info.

I suggest using e2e.ti.com for further understanding of capabilities
that can be enabled on OMAP5 - mostly getting to understand what TI is
willing to support. I try my best to keep OMAP5 at least on par with
DRA7 where possible - but that is not really in interest to many folks
though.

--
Regards,
Nishanth Menon