Re: cpuidle and NO_HZ

Sriram V <vshrirama@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Sanjeev,
> I am not really sure what the problem could be.
> By enabling smc irq as wakeup resulted in faster nfs mounts compared
> to before. however this does not happen everytime.
> On enabling smc debug i can see interrupts happening all while.
> for me ping stops after a while.
>
> Booting out a MMC card. I am unable to ping from the board. i see
> rx overruns. However i can smc interrupts happening
>
> For some reason this happens only when cpuidle is enabled.

Are you allowing the chip to hit OFF (by 'echo 1 >
/sys/power/enable_off_mode') or are you only hitting retention.

This is most likely a latency issue.  For starters, you could modify
the smc91x driver to register a latency requirement with the OMAP PM
layer.  This would prevent entering deeper C-states which may have
wakeup latencies that the smc91x cannot handle.

Alternatively, you you do some experiments to see exactly which
C-states are causing the problems.  You could modify cpuidle34xx.c and
set the 'valid' flag in the higher C-states to zero so that they
cannot be entered and see which C-states (if any) are working.

That being said, I'm not sure how this could be happening during boot,
since the UART clocks should be preventing retention or off
until you 'echo 1 > /sys/power/clocks_off_when_idle.'

Kevin