Re: USB driver issue

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 1:15 AM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 07:47:07PM -0500, Stalin Kenny wrote:
>> Felipe,
>>
>> Sorry to say but to say that one has to migrate to latest kernel in
>> order to get community support is not right....the statement does has
>> a touch of arrogance. You are not the spokeperson for the community.
>
> Um, yes he is.
>
> And so is everyone else who actually contributes to the kernel.
>
> If Felipe says he doesn't want to support anything but the latest
> kernel.org kernel for free, then that is what he is going to do.  Why do
> you not believe him?
>
> Personally, that is my stance as well.  And it's the stance of _every_
> other kernel developer who I know who contributes their time and effort
> here.
>
> There are _lots_ of companies out there willing and able to support
> older kernel versions for you.  If you want support for something like
> this, it is simple to find.  But that is not something that we can
> provide in our community, otherwise we would go insane.
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Your statements fit well if you are speaking on behalf of a "Company"
and not for "open source community".

There is a difference between "suggesting" and "commanding". What you
or some one are doing here is commanding to use the latest kernel in
order to provide support, and that doesn't bode well with me. Just
because you can work with the latest kernel (that probably has bugs),
you cannot make assumptions that every one has the same bandwidth to
migrate to the latest kernel and keep moving with you.

Again, the problem is not about updating to the latest kernel or not,
the problem is with the few individuals attitude and I sincerely hope
they change it.

regards,
Stalin