Re: [Question] MUSB: why not clear DMA interrupt in musbhsdma.c?

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Gadiyar, Anand <gadiyar@xxxxxx> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Actually, I don't have any detail information about the IP from mentor of Blackfin.
>> I just found the instruction from the Blackfin manual. We need to clear DMA IRQ flag
>> manually on Blackfin, although it is not true on Davinci.

>> > I've certainly seen that "little" problem.  I couldn't tell
>> > if the root cause was from Mentor's DMA support or from the
>> > kind of USB-antagonistic DMA engine on DaVinci, but when the
>> > DMA logic has to generate an IRQ for each packet (to get sane
>> > semantics), it's hopeless getting good throughput unless it's
>> > dirt cheap to set up and complete DMA transfers.  (It isn't.)
>> >
>> > As has been seen elsewhere:  when the cost of DMA integration
>> > exceeds the cost to stuff the FIFO by hand, DMA is not a win.
>> > That's an issue with the drivers/dma framework sometimes too,
>> > though in that case the issue is purely software.
>> >

>> I did lots of test to compare the DMA and PIO such as a) dd large file
>> to a USB flash disk, b) use bonnie++ to do performance test.
>> The result is that no throughput improvement on DMA and CPU
>> consumption is the same as PIO.
>>
>> We hope to see the CPU usage of DMA mode is less than PIO mode, but
>> didn't got the expectation.
>
> Approximately how much is the performance you see with PIO mode (given that you also see the same with DMA mode)?

I recorded the bonnie++ result in our tracker:
https://blackfin.uclinux.org/gf/project/uclinux-dist/tracker/?action=TrackerItemEdit&tracker_item_id=3786

> Any chance you have dynamic tick suppression enabled (CONFIG_NO_HZ)?
> If so, could you try with nohz=off in your bootargs?

Is this helpful? I am afraid that dynamic tick is not fully supported
on Blackfin.
But I will try it.

Thanks
-Bryan