Android on OMAP, was: Anyone porting Android to Omap2430 ?

colorant wrote:

>     I am trying to porting android to omap2430 , I patch the android driver to the both 2.6.21 and 2.6.24 kernel.They both don't work, the startup bar comes out , but the main srceen not showing, the userspace program crash due to some Segmentation Fault and sometimes some other errors.
>
>     I wonder is there anyone here have the experience of doing this work ?

Yes and no ;) Yes regarding Android, no regarding omap2430.

>     Can someone shareing some tips on it ?

I'm currently looking if Android can start on good old OMAP5912 OSK
with Mistral display [1]. The advantage (besides it is the only OMAP
board I have ;) ) is that it has a nice form factor, the buttons look
somehow like the Android emulator view and it is well supported by
kernel. The disadvantage is that it has only 32MB, I'm not sure if
this is sufficent to run Android.

I mainly did what

http://androidzaurus.seesaa.net/article/74237419.html

describes:

- Extracting userdata, system and dev from running Android emulator
using a static BusyBox and SDcard simulation (spent some time to get
yaffs2 images userdata and system to mount/extract on host system, but
can't find a working way for this).

- Extracting diff between clean 2.6.23 and Android 2.6.23, throwing
away all goldfisch and qemu related changes, getting an architecture
independent Android patch (mainly drivers/android and drivers/binder)

- Switching back recent OMAP git to 2.6.23 and applying patch
extracted above.

- Setting up an EABI environment: codesourcery toolchain, kernel and
ramdisk (busybox etc).

- Establishing the Android file system (ramdisk, system, userdata,
dev) on a USB stick (can't get CF card working on OSK and 2.6.23.
Anybody has this working?).

- Booting the kernel, mounting USB stick, and then doing the chroot:

-- cut --
# chroot /mnt/usb/ /a.sh
ioctl LOOP_SET_FD failed: Bad file number
ioctl LOOP_SET_FD failed: Bad file number
binder_open: 886:886
binder_open: 888:888
-- cut --

And that's it. No ctrl-c or anything working any more. Only thing I
can do then is restarting the board (and fixing ext2 file system on
then unclean USB stick ;) )

To do:

- Look what the system likes to tell me with "ioctl LOOP_SET_FD
failed: Bad file number".

- Checking major/minor numbers for binder:

[2] mentions

-- cut --
Copy the /dev/binder to /android/dev/binder. This was necessary
because in the emulator the binder device had major number 252 while
in the Zaurus it had 253.
-- cut --

and [3]

-- cut --
6. cat /proc/devices and look for binder device's major number
7. mknod /dev/binder c <major> 0
-- cut --

but seems that I don't have a binder entry in /proc/devices. And I
checked in emulator as well, there isn't a /proc/devices binder entry
(?). Not sure at the moment where to get the correct binder major from.

Where are you exactly at the moment and what are the detailed error
messages?

Best regards

Dirk

Btw: You should use new OMAP list linux-omap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx