Re: The Current status of DSS drivers

Hi Felipe,

On Jan 17, 2008 4:41 PM, Felipe Balbi <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hi Trilok,
>
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:12:25 +0530, "Trilok Soni" <soni.trilok@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Arun,
> >
> > On Jan 17, 2008 11:05 AM, Arun C <arunedarath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I am working on omap2430sdp. I downloaded the latest kernel from git.
> >>
> >> I did not find support for video(v4l2) and tvout drivers in git, the
> >> display library (display.c) is also absent.
> >>
> >> I could find the support for Video and tvout drivers in the kernel
> >> from TI site (linux-2.6.14-omap2-v4).
> >>
> >> Can anybody please tell me the current status of DSS drivers in git.
> >> Why the drivers are not there in git? Whether anybody is working on
> >> that?
> >
> > No one I know of. There was a proposal long back from Said Khasim to
> > integrate those functionality into current fwk of fb drivers. The
> > current git kernel may not like
> > the approach of tvout through v4l2. You may have to add that support
> > through fb layer.
>
> could you explain this better? why tvout driver should come into fb layer
> besides v4l2?
>
> thanks in advance

Because what I understand from current fb layer implementation for
layer 0, layer 1 and 2 (with
color conversion, colorkey etc caps) is that all the code is written
in fb layer to expose all omap2
display controller functionality.

So, if we want to go for putting this layer0/1/2 on TV through tv-out
capability using v4l2, then we need to have
this dispc capability code in common library (like how TI has done)
and fb plus vl42 code should use it.

I am sure Imre Deak will have better suggestions, as repeated attempt
of adding these functionality through v4l2
from Khasim and Komal didn't reach any conclusions.

--
--Trilok Soni
-