Re: nilfs_cleanerd not running

Hi,
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 22:01:09 +0200, mikael@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems my NILFS is not garbage collected. The other day I was not
> able to boot up my NixOS due to a full disk. I booted on a USB stick
> and ran nilfs-clean which freed about 20 Gbytes. I suppose there
> should always be a process nilfs_cleanerd running on a system in order
> to clean up old check points. I have actually not read on the NILFS
> web site that nilfs_cleanerd should be running normally, but maybe I
> have missed this. Should it not be running normally?
>
> When I am running nilfs-clean on my device, I get:
>
> 'No cleaner found on /dev/dm-0.'
>
> mount | grep nilfs gives:
>
> /dev/mapper/cryptroot on / type nilfs2 (rw,relatime)
> /dev/mapper/cryptroot on /nix/store type nilfs2 (ro,relatime)
>
> nilfs-clean -V gives:
>
> nilfs-clean version 2.2.3
>
> I am only able to run nilfs_cleanerd after setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
> /nix/store/*-nilfs-utils-2.2.3/lib
>
> nilfs_cleanerd /dev/mapper/cryptroot
> NILFS_CLEANERD_PID=24468
>
> It seems however like the process terminates since there does not seem
> to exist any process when running 'ps aux | grep nilfs'
>
> When trying 'sudo mount -t nilfs2 -o remount,pp=1
> /dev/mapper/cryptroot /', I get:
>
> /nix/store/y0ldq0j9qpax23d6g5iww7nz17xgx32q-nilfs-utils-2.2.3/sbin/nilfs_cleanerd:
> error while loading shared libraries: libnilfs.so.0: cannot open

I don't know the detail of NixOS, but the reason why nilfs_cleanerd
aborted looks to be in this environmental issue.

> mount.nilfs2: Warning: cannot get pid of cleanerd

This message indicates mount.nilfs2 failed to receive pid
from nilfs_cleanerd.  It looks like nilfs_cleanerd aborted before
handing over the pid completes.

> mount.nilfs2: cannot modify /etc/mtab.
> Please remount the partition with -f option after making /etc/mtab
> writable.

Is /etc/mtab a symlink to /proc/self/mounts ?

If so, this mount.nilfs2 (NixOS distro package ?) looks to be
wrongly built.

There are two version with regards to mount.nilfs2, one uses /etc/mtab
and another uses libmount.  The latter doesn't rewrite /etc/mtab.

The latter version of mount.nilfs2 can be built with "--with-libmount"
configure option from the nilfs-utils source package.

 $ ./configure --with-libmount
 $ make

Regards,
Ryusuke Konishi