Re: searching checkpoints contaning an inode (or a filename)

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Taesoo Kim <taesoo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> q3. using nilfs as rootfs?
>  (I couldn't find any people using nilfs for rootfs. Are there any
>  issue on that? or just matter of performance? on updates for
>  example)

I'm using NILFS as root filesystem on my work laptop for a total of 4
years. I switched to BTRFS for a year in between but looking at how
fast it kills SSD, it wass not worthwhile.

Stability wise, I only had 2 problems with NILFS, the first, which was
fixed promptly, caused a total data lost because of how the cleaner
scrub the disk (using the time), it scrubbed data from the future
after time ran backward. Then the other problem was a kernel OOPS
about a file from the debian APT cache, I deleted it and it runs just
fine now, I couldn't take the backtrace.

Performance wise, on SSD the filesystem is really fast and snappy,
while on HDD, reads are really slow, booting takes 2 minutes instead
of less than 10 seconds, however, once booted and everything is in
cache, it is quite fast. Database loads, especially reads on HDD is
the worst for NILFS.