NILFS2 under stress

Hi,

I've been experimenting with NILFS2 on a 8GB USB stick.
I repeatedly created and deleted a 128MB file. After about 60 attempts, the
disk got 100% full, and would not respond anymore.

So I tried repeating this setup after changing the GC settings to be much
more agressive GC policy
protection_period       0
min_clean_segments      10%
max_clean_segments      20%
clean_check_interval    1
nsegments_per_clean     20
mc_nsegments_per_clean  40
cleaning_interval       1
mc_cleaning_interval    1
retry_interval          3

This time I was able to do the above even for 80 times, and indeed saw that
the free space on the device was periodically decreased

So I continued with filling up the file system to about half of its
capacity (3.5GB) with large 128MB files.
I then tried running a small 60 seconds fileserver benchmark of FileBench,
which uses 1.5GB.
I was able to run it twice, but then the system got 100% full again, and
non-responsive.
I tried running nilfs_cleanerd manually, tried remounting. nothing worked.

Is NILFS known to be sensitive to stress tests? Is this expected?
Or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you