Re: off-line resizing?

[…]

 >> Unfortunately, I don't plan to switch my “production” hosts to Linux
 >> 3 yet.  However, for the purposes I want to give NILFS a try I can
 >> assume that I can easily umount the volume whenever I need to resize
 >> it, to run whatever user-space code necessary.

 >> Thus, I'm curious, are there any plans to implement “off-line” NILFS
 >> resizing?

 > Implementing Off-line resizing is a bit tough task because it
 > requires a user space library to read internal meta data of the nilfs
 > file system and append updated blocks to it.  This is almost
 > equivalent to implementing kernel functions of nilfs in user land.

 > So, we have no concrete schedule now.

	ACK, thanks.

	I wonder, how complicated this task would be?  In particular, do
	I need to alter all the segments to resize filesystem, or only
	specific ones?  Also, are these internal metadata records just
	“a bunch of C structs”, or something more complex?

[…]

 > For other Linux distros, the standalone kmod may be applicable with
 > or without customizing the source code.  it has a glue code to
 > support multiple kernel versions.  For reference, the source code of
 > the standalone kmod is available at:

 > git://github.com/nilfs-dev/nilfs2-kmod-centos6.git

	ACK, thanks.

--
FSF associate member #7257