Re: Ability to discard all changes after a point in time?

Hi, dexen

At Wed, 1 Jun 2011 14:41:12 +0200,
dexen deVries wrote:

> Hi Jiro,
>
> On Wednesday 01 of June 2011 14:33:13 you wrote:
> > I know this is not what you want, but as a partial solution,
> > timebrowse (http://timebrowse.sourceforge.net/) can restore the files
> > or directories of NILFS2 checkpoints from nautilus interface.
> >
> > Of course, this will merely rsync from the checkpoint to current mount
> > point. Therefore all the history still remain in the log and it may take
> > unreasonable time if the differences are big.
>

> Thanks, that's a good thing. Btw., is there any KIO slave or application for
> KDE with similar functionality?

Unfortunately no, or no volunteer yet ;-p.

Timebrowse has two parts, snapshot manager and nautilus add-on.

Snapshot manater keep nilfs checkpoints and alter its to snapshots and
mount its specified mount point.  In later snapshots will be unmount
and sparse or deleted.

While, nautils add-on is completely independent from the manager.
It tries to find nilfs checkpoint mount from /proc/mounts and
list the checkpoint.

So if you want KIO slave or something similar for KDE, you may be able to
utilize the snapshot manager to implement the functionality you want.

> My target usecase was: OS is so mis-configured it won't even boot. I wanted to
> pass a parameter to kernel to make it discard some recent changes and go on
> with a slightly older version of files.
>
> Another usecase was: due to bug in older kernel FS had a few recent
> checkpoints corrupted. It's either back files up and re-format the filesystem,
> or roll back a few minutes to an older, correct checkpoint.

If the problem is rather simple, like need to boot correct kernel in
the file system in the log boot loader may help it.
#and pray the log roll forward on boot time.

Current grub2 nilfs module only tries to find kernel from latest log.
However, implementation itself can specify any checkpoint.
The problem is how to specify the checkpoint from standard grub2 interface.
grub2 does not have any parapeter for file system module :(.

regards,

Jiro SEKIBA <jir@xxxxxxxxxx>