RE: Zombie / Orphan open files

When the number of opens gets close to the limit which would result in
a disruptive  NFSv4 service interruption ( currently 128K open files is the limit),
I do the reboot ( actually I transfer the affected NFS serving resource
from one NAS cluster-node to the other NAS cluster node ... this based on experience
is like a 99.9% "non-disruptive reboot" of the affected NFS serving resource )

Before the resource transfer there will be ~126K open files
( from the NAS perspective )
0.1 seconds after the resource transfer there will be
close to zero files open. Within a few seconds there will
be ~2000 and within a few minutes there will be ~2100.
During the rest of the day I only see a slow rise in the average number
of opens to maybe 2200. ( my take is ~2100 files were "active opens" before and after
  the resource transfer ,  the rest of the 126K opens were zombies
that the clients were no longer using ).  In 4-6 months
the number of opens from the NAS perspective will slowly
creep back up to the limit.