Re: cto changes for v4 atomic open

Hi -

I'm having trouble reconciling this comment:

On 8/4/21 1:24 PM, Anna Schumaker wrote:

So, I have a naive question. When a client is writing to cache, why
wouldn't it be possible to send an alert to the server indicating that
the file is being changed. The server would keep track of such files
(client cached, updated) and act accordingly; i.e. sending a request to
the client to flush the cache for that file if another client is asking
to open the file? The process could be bookended by the client alerting
the server when the cached version has been fully synchronized with the
copy on the server so that the server wouldn't serve that file until the
synchronization is complete. The only problem I can see with this is the
client crashing or disconnecting before the file is fully written to the
server, but then some timeout condition could be set.

We already have this! What you're describing is almost exactly how
delegations work :)

with this one:

On 8/4/21 10:42 AM, Rick Macklem wrote:

> There is no notification mechanism defined for any version of NFS.

How can you do delegations if there's no notification system?