Re: cto changes for v4 atomic open

On Tue, 2021-08-03 at 21:51 -0400, Matt Benjamin wrote:
> (who have performed an open)
>
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 9:43 PM Matt Benjamin <mbenjami@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > I think it is how close-to-open has been traditionally understood.
> > do not believe that close-to-open in any way implies a single
> > writer,
> > rather it sets the consistency expectation for all readers.

OK. I'll bite, despite the obvious troll-bait...

close-to-open implies a single writer because it is impossible to
guarantee ordering semantics in RPC. You could, in theory, do so by
serialising on the client, but none of us do that because we care about
performance.

If you don't serialise between clients, then it is trivial (and I'm
seriously tired of people who whine about this) to reproduce reads to
file areas that have not been fully synced to the server, despite
having data on the client that is writing. i.e. the reader sees holes
that never existed on the client that wrote the data.
The reason is that the writes got re-ordered en route to the server,
and so reads to the areas that have not yet been filled are showing up
as holes.

So, no, the close-to-open semantics definitely apply to both readers
and writers.

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer, Hammerspace