Re: cto changes for v4 atomic open

On Fri, 2021-07-30 at 09:25 -0400, Benjamin Coddington wrote:
> I have some folks unhappy about behavior changes after: 479219218fbe
> NFS:
> Optimise away the close-to-open GETATTR when we have NFSv4 OPEN
>
> Before this change, a client holding a RO open would invalidate the
> pagecache when doing a second RW open.
>
> Now the client doesn't invalidate the pagecache, though technically
> it could
> because we see a changeattr update on the RW OPEN response.
>
> I feel this is a grey area in CTO if we're already holding an open.
> Do we
> know how the client ought to behave in this case?  Should the
> client's open
> upgrade to RW invalidate the pagecache?

It's not a "grey area in close-to-open" at all. It is very cut and
dried.

If you need to invalidate your page cache while the file is open, then
by definition you are in a situation where there is a write by another
client going on while you are reading. You're clearly not doing close-
to-open.

The people who are doing this should be using uncached I/O.

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer, Hammerspace