Re: nfsd vurlerability submit

On Wed, 2021-01-13 at 14:40 +0000, hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 02:34:45PM +0000, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> > On Wed, 2021-01-13 at 08:12 +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > > FYI, if people really want to use some sort of subtree exports,
> > > for
> > > XFS
> > > (and probably ext4) we encode the project id into the file handle
> > > and
> > > use the hierarchical project ID inheritance that we already use
> > > for
> > > project quotas.
> >
> > You'd basically need something along the lines of a NetApp qtree.
> >
> > i.e. a persisted tag that can label all the files and directories
> > in a
> > subtree, and that is used to enforce a set of rules that are
> > generally
> > normally associated with filesystems. So no renames from objects
> > inside
> > the subtree to directories that lie outside it. No hard links that
> > cross the subtree boundary.
>
> That is the XFS project ID, which ext4 has also picked up a few years
> ago.

How would that work then? Would you just look at the project ID of the
directory identified by the filehandle as the export point, and then
match to the project ID on the target inode? That sounds like it
doesn't even need to encode anything special in the filehandle.

How do you set a project ID in XFS?

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer, Hammerspace