Re: nfs-utils README updates

On 2020-07-17 13:34, Steve Dickson wrote:

Yes... the README is dreadfully out of date... although most of it has
not changed but a lot has... esp when it comes to the systemd set up..
although the systemd/README is pretty accurate... Maybe a point to
the systemd/README in the top README would be good.

Sure, although I don't use systemd myself, I'll have to trust it's correct.

What script did you have to add 'auth_rpcgss' to?
It should be automatically  be loaded when the sunrpc
module is loaded.

/etc/init.d/rpc.svcgssd (on Gentoo).

Looking into it, looks like sunrpc is included & loaded from the initramfs that Gentoo's 'genkernel' creates (for root nfs setups) but not the auth_rpcgss or rpcsec_gss_krb5 modules. Which makes some sense, since i can't think of an easy way to do a krb5 root fs with a generic initramfs. Kind of a chicken-egg issue with getting kerberos initialized.

I suppose the other option is to allow svcgssd to startup and wait for that file to appear. I already have patches that convert it to use libevent so that shouldn't be too much work to add.

Doug