Re: NFSv3 may inappropriately return EPERM for fsetxattr

On Sun, Aug 12 2018, Bruce Fields wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 08:28:00AM +1000, NeilBrown wrote:

>> > do_linkat()->may_linkat() looks kinda suspicious to me.  Or what about
>> > the O_NOATIME check in map_open()?  Just engaging in dumb grepping
>> > here....
>> >
>> > --b.
>>
>> NOATIME, both in open and fcntl, is rejected on NFS.  This seems valid
>> as there is no way in the protocol to ask the server to no update the
>> atime.
>>
>> Others I found we just short-cuts to avoid calling i_op->permission() if
>> the caller was an owner.  I don't *think* that would affect NFS much
>> ... though if an owner didn't have write permission, some things might
>> be incorrectly forbidden.  Maybe.
>
> OK, so not too important.  Still, it sounds like
> inode_owner_or_capable() is something people expect to work for any
> filesystem, so I wonder if there's a way to do that.  Or at least
> disable it.

We could add a new flag - MAY_OWN (or something) - to the flags
recognised by inode_permission() and i_op->permission().

If ->permission isn't set, inode_permission() uses
inode_owner_or_capable().
If it is, it gets to call that, or do whatever is appropriate.

Is this flag the same as NFS_MAY_OWNER_OVERRIDE or not....??

NeilBrown