Re: NFSv3 may inappropriately return EPERM for fsetxattr

That's correct. The other detail that seems to be important is that
the user making the call must be different from the user owning the
file. We've also been using user remapping on the server, so that
non-xattr calls succeed in that configuration.

The reproducer James added in the bugzilla is:

(on machine with IP address 10.1.1.1)
sudo mkdir /nfs_test
sudo useradd -u 10000 test_user
sudo chown test_user /nfs_test
echo "/nfs_test 10.1.1.2(rw,all_squash,anonuid=10000)" | sudo tee -a
/etc/exports
sudo exportfs -a

(on machine with IP address 10.1.1.2)
sudo mkdir /nfs_test
sudo mount -t nfs -o vers=3,noacl 10.1.1.1:/nfs_test /nfs_test
touch /nfs_test/foo
install -m 755 /nfs_test/foo /nfs_test/bar

- Nelson