Re: NFSv3 may inappropriately return EPERM for fsetxattr

On Mon, Mar 21 2016, Nelson Elhage wrote:

> That's correct. The other detail that seems to be important is that
> the user making the call must be different from the user owning the
> file. We've also been using user remapping on the server, so that
> non-xattr calls succeed in that configuration.
>
> The reproducer James added in the bugzilla is:
>
> (on machine with IP address 10.1.1.1)
> sudo mkdir /nfs_test
> sudo useradd -u 10000 test_user
> sudo chown test_user /nfs_test
> echo "/nfs_test 10.1.1.2(rw,all_squash,anonuid=10000)" | sudo tee -a
> /etc/exports
> sudo exportfs -a
>
> (on machine with IP address 10.1.1.2)
> sudo mkdir /nfs_test
> sudo mount -t nfs -o vers=3,noacl 10.1.1.1:/nfs_test /nfs_test
> touch /nfs_test/foo
> install -m 755 /nfs_test/foo /nfs_test/bar

Did anything ever happen about this?
I have a customer with a similar problem (in 4.4) but I cannot see any
evidence of fixes landing in mainline.

Problem happens with you have uid mapping on the server
(e.g. anonuid=10000 as above) and a user with a different uid on the
client attempts setacl on a file with that user.
As anon is mapped to the owner of the file, setacl should be allowed.
However set_posix_acl() calls inode_owner_or_capable() which checks if
the client-side uid matches the visible inode->i_uid - they don't.

Testing i_uid on the client is always incorrect for permission checking
with NFS - the client should always ask the server, either with ACCESS
or, in this case, by simply attempting the operation.

Any suggestions how best to fix this?
- We could move the responsibility for permission checking into
  i_op->set_acl, but that would be a large change and might make it too
  easy for other filesystems to get it wrong.
- we could have some sort of flag asking set_posix_acl(), but that's
  rather clumsy.... maybe if i_op->set_acl_check_perm use that without
  testing ownership first??
- we could copy
    posic_acl_xattr_{get,set,list} into nfs together with functions
    they call, modify set_posix_acl() to not test ownership,
    and provide a local 'struct xattr_handler' structure for NFS.

I don't really like any of those suggestions.  Can someone else do any
better?

Thanks,
NeilBrown