Re: running NFS in LXC

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 09:15:05AM -0500, Benjamin Coddington wrote:
> On 14 Feb 2018, at 2:06, Harald Dunkel wrote:
>
> >Hi Ben,
> >
> >I take this as a "no serious problems by now". Good to hear.
> >Which kernel are you using?
>
> This was years ago on a 2.6.32 series.  I don't expect you'll have
> serious problems now, either.  As far as I know, my last employer is
> still using that architecture, but I couldn't tell you what software
> versions they're on now..
>
> We moved to the knfsd-in-a-container from an architecture that was
> essentially a bunch of vanilla knfsds that could mount and any of
> the block devices, and block devices were tied to IP addresses, and
> this was all orchestrated by pacemaker.  The problem with that one
> was that when a block device or filesystem was migrated, the server
> receiving that filesystem had to be put into grace, which disrupted
> any existing NFS serving that was going on.
>
> Test things, let us know how it works!

I think you were using KVM, right, Ben?

Harald is talking about LXC, and there are still a few problems there.

Jeff, do you object to going back to our plan B for reboot recovery (the
daemon)?  The usermode helper containerization seems stalled and I have
to admit I'm probably not going to take it on myself.  That might be the
only knfsd-in-a-container obstacle left.

--b.