Re: close(2) behavior when client holds a write delegation

Adding NFSv4 WG ....

On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 04:05:43PM -0800, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 12:04 PM, Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi-
> >
> > Dai noticed that when a 3.17 Linux NFS client is granted a

Hi, is this new behavior for 3.17 or does it happen to prior
versions as well?

> > write delegation, it neglects to flush dirty data synchronously
> > with close(2). The data is flushed asynchronously, and close(2)
> > completes immediately. Normally that’s OK. But Dai observed that:
> >
> > 1. If the server can’t accommodate the dirty data (eg ENOSPC or
> >    EIO) the application is not notified, even via close(2) return
> >    code.
> >
> > 2. If the server is down, the application does not hang, but it
> >    can leave dirty data in the client’s page cache with no
> >    indication to applications or administrators.
> >
> >    The disposition of that data remains unknown even if a umount
> >    is attempted. While the server is down, the umount will hang
> >    trying to flush that data without giving an indication of why.
> >
> > 3. If a shutdown is attempted while the server is down and there
> >    is a pending flush, the shutdown will hang, even though there
> >    are no running applications with open files.
> >
> > 4. The behavior is non-deterministic from the application’s
> >    perspective. It occurs only if the server has granted a write
> >    delegation for that file; otherwise close(2) behaves like it
> >    does for NFSv2/3 or NFSv4 without a delegation present
> >    (close(2) waits synchronously for the flush to complete).
> >
> > Should close(2) wait synchronously for a data flush even in the
> > presence of a write delegation?
> >
> > It’s certainly reasonable for umount to try hard to flush pinned
> > data, but that makes shutdown unreliable.
>
> We should probably start paying more attention to the "space_limit"
> field in the write delegation. That field is supposed to tell the
> client precisely how much data it is allowed to cache on close().

Sure, but what does that mean?

Is the space_limit supposed to be on the file or the amount of data that
can be cached by the client?

Note that Spencer Dawkins effectively asked this question a couple of years ago:

| In this text:
|
| 15.18.3.  RESULT
|
|     nfs_space_limit4
|               space_limit; /* Defines condition that
|                               the client must check to
|                               determine whether the
|                               file needs to be flushed
|                               to the server on close.  */
|
| I'm no expert, but could I ask you to check whether this is the right
| description for this struct? nfs_space_limit4 looks like it's either
| a file size or a number of blocks, and I wasn't understanding how that
| was a "condition" or how the limit had anything to do with flushing a
| file to the server on close, so I'm wondering about a cut-and-paste error.

Does any server set the space_limit?

And to what?

Note, it seems that OpenSolaris does set it to be NFS_LIMIT_SIZE and
UINT64_MAX. Which means that it is effectively saying that the client
is guaranteed a lot of space. :-)