Re: close(2) behavior when client holds a write delegation

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 12:04 PM, Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi-
>
> Dai noticed that when a 3.17 Linux NFS client is granted a
> write delegation, it neglects to flush dirty data synchronously
> with close(2). The data is flushed asynchronously, and close(2)
> completes immediately. Normally that’s OK. But Dai observed that:
>
> 1. If the server can’t accommodate the dirty data (eg ENOSPC or
>    EIO) the application is not notified, even via close(2) return
>    code.
>
> 2. If the server is down, the application does not hang, but it
>    can leave dirty data in the client’s page cache with no
>    indication to applications or administrators.
>
>    The disposition of that data remains unknown even if a umount
>    is attempted. While the server is down, the umount will hang
>    trying to flush that data without giving an indication of why.
>
> 3. If a shutdown is attempted while the server is down and there
>    is a pending flush, the shutdown will hang, even though there
>    are no running applications with open files.
>
> 4. The behavior is non-deterministic from the application’s
>    perspective. It occurs only if the server has granted a write
>    delegation for that file; otherwise close(2) behaves like it
>    does for NFSv2/3 or NFSv4 without a delegation present
>    (close(2) waits synchronously for the flush to complete).
>
> Should close(2) wait synchronously for a data flush even in the
> presence of a write delegation?
>
> It’s certainly reasonable for umount to try hard to flush pinned
> data, but that makes shutdown unreliable.

We should probably start paying more attention to the "space_limit"
field in the write delegation. That field is supposed to tell the
client precisely how much data it is allowed to cache on close().

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer, PrimaryData