Re: [nfsv4] close(2) behavior when client holds a write delegation

Tom Haynes wrote:
> Adding NFSv4 WG ....
>
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 04:05:43PM -0800, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 12:04 PM, Chuck Lever
> > <chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Hi-
> > >
> > > Dai noticed that when a 3.17 Linux NFS client is granted a
>
> Hi, is this new behavior for 3.17 or does it happen to prior
> versions as well?
>
> > > write delegation, it neglects to flush dirty data synchronously
> > > with close(2). The data is flushed asynchronously, and close(2)
> > > completes immediately. Normally that’s OK. But Dai observed that:
> > >
> > > 1. If the server can’t accommodate the dirty data (eg ENOSPC or
> > >    EIO) the application is not notified, even via close(2) return
> > >    code.
> > >
> > > 2. If the server is down, the application does not hang, but it
> > >    can leave dirty data in the client’s page cache with no
> > >    indication to applications or administrators.
> > >
> > >    The disposition of that data remains unknown even if a umount
> > >    is attempted. While the server is down, the umount will hang
> > >    trying to flush that data without giving an indication of why.
> > >
> > > 3. If a shutdown is attempted while the server is down and there
> > >    is a pending flush, the shutdown will hang, even though there
> > >    are no running applications with open files.
> > >
> > > 4. The behavior is non-deterministic from the application’s
> > >    perspective. It occurs only if the server has granted a write
> > >    delegation for that file; otherwise close(2) behaves like it
> > >    does for NFSv2/3 or NFSv4 without a delegation present
> > >    (close(2) waits synchronously for the flush to complete).
> > >
> > > Should close(2) wait synchronously for a data flush even in the
> > > presence of a write delegation?
> > >
> > > It’s certainly reasonable for umount to try hard to flush pinned
> > > data, but that makes shutdown unreliable.
> >
> > We should probably start paying more attention to the "space_limit"
> > field in the write delegation. That field is supposed to tell the
> > client precisely how much data it is allowed to cache on close().
> >

> Sure, but what does that mean?
>
> Is the space_limit supposed to be on the file or the amount of data
> that
> can be cached by the client?

My understanding of this was that the space limit was how much the
server guarantees that the client can grow the file by without failing,
due to ENOSPACE. Done via pre-allocation of blocks to the file on the
server or something like that.

I'll admit I can't remember what the FreeBSD server sets this to.
(Hopefully 0, because it doesn't do pre-allocation, but I should go take a look.;-)

For the other cases, such as crashed server or network partitioning,
there will never be a good solution. I think for these it is just a
design choice for the client implementor. (If FreeBSD, this tends to
end up controllable via a mount option. I think the FreeBSD client
uses the "nocto" option to decide if it will flush on close.)

rick