Re: mount default minor version behavior

On 11/11/2014 05:27 PM, Anna Schumaker wrote:

> I don't think so. Right now users know that if they don't use a minor
> version then they'll be getting a v4.0 mount. I think we should keep
> this behavior so we don't accidentally break people's configuration.

This would be inconsistent and there for unexpected.

What you suggest is:
* if user specifies no version then start with 4.1, work down to supported version
* if user specifies major=4 only try 4.0
* if user specifies major.minor only try major.minor

I think a more expect behavior would be:
* if user specifies no version then start with 4.1, work down to supported version
* if user specifies major=4 start with 4.1 til 4.0
* if user specifies major.minor only try major.minor

The preferred (implicit) minor is 1 in all cases

The question is did users of major=4 meant 4.0 and were lazy to type ".0"
or did they mean "don't try 3 or 2"

Current system compatibility is already changing by moving all
case 1 above from 4.0 to 4.1 by the next yum update. I think it would
be reasonable to also change case 2. And have a consistent semantics.

> Anna

Thanks
Boaz