Re: mount default minor version behavior

Hi Ben,

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Benjamin Coddington
<bcodding@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I will update mount.nfs so the default version is 4.1.  I have two quick
> questions on desired behavior:
>
>  o  Should mounts that do not specify a minor version be upgraded to the
> default minor version?
>
> For example, should 'mount -overs=4' turn into 'mount -overs4.1', if the
> current default is 4.1?
>

>  o If 'yes' to the above, should mount auto-retry decrementing minor
> versions if EPROTONOSUPPORT?
>
> For example, 'mount -overs=4' with a default of 4.2 would attempt: 4.2,
> then 4.1, then 4.0.

One thing you should note when doing this: the current parser for
/etc/nfsmount.conf does not support minor versions. I think it needs
to, so that we can continue to use it to set defaults.

...and to answer your questions above, I think that we should be able
to specify a 'default nfsv4 minor version' in /etc/nfsmount.conf, and
then negotiate down from there.
IOW: extend the 'Defaultvers' and 'Nfsvers' options to support 4.0,
4.1, 4.2,....

The result should be that If I do 'mount -t nfs' with no '-overs'
option, then we start at 4.1 (if that is the default in
/etc/nfsmount.conf) and then try 4.0, 3, 2 in that order.
If I do 'mount -t nfs -overs=4', then again consult /etc/nfsmount.conf;
- if there is a default matching a v4 minor version, then start at
that and negotiate down (but stop at 4.0).
- if there is no default in /etc/nfsmount.conf, then perhaps assume a
default of 0(????)

Cheers
  Trond

--
Trond Myklebust

Linux NFS client maintainer, PrimaryData

trond.myklebust@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx