Re: WARNING: at linux/fs/inode.c:280 drop_nlink

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 15:14:29 +0000
"Myklebust, Trond" <Trond.Myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-12-17 at 08:08 -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 18:22:27 +0000

> > > As I said, the whole nlink test thing is a heuristic on NFS. Just
> > > because we think we've successfully sent a REMOVE to the server, it
> > > doesn't mean that file has actually been deleted. REMOVE refers to the
> > > file by name, so there is plenty of opportunity for the server to play
> > > tricks on us. I'm assuming that is what is happening in your Fedora bug
> > > reports.
> > >
> > > As far as we're concerned, the only reliable indicator that a file has
> > > been deleted is when the server starts replying ESTALE to that
> > > filehandle.

> > > nfs_dentry_iput() is not special, but the test in nfs_drop_nlink() is.
> > > If we're not able to track inode->i_nlink, then why is forcing an inode
> > > eviction more correct than not doing so?
> > >

> > The patchset you sent after the above seems basically correct to me,
> > but since you asked...
> >
> > It's hard to generalize on server behavior, but if a server sends us an
> > attributes with i_nlink == 0, it seems unlikely to go positive again.
> > For most servers, that means that the inode is now unreachable via
> > LOOKUP. Therefore, once d_iput is called we won't have a way to get to
> > the inode again. Forcing it out of the cache seems like the right
> > thing to do in that case.
>
> We don't know what the server's idea of inode->i_nlink is. The REMOVE
> operation doesn't return any information about the target inode, so we
> were just manipulating our cached values.

Neil's reproducer is somewhat synthetic, since it involves removing
files that have been sillyrenamed. I tend to think that most
applications don't do that however...

My assumption on this problem (maybe a wrong one) is that this usually
happens when we have an out-of-order attribute update that raced in
while we're processing the REMOVE.

IOW, we have a race where the REMOVE got processed on the server before
(e.g.) a GETATTR, but the client processed the replies in opposite
order, for whatever reason.

> > A negative i_nlink OTOH makes no sense at all. If our actions are going
> > to make that happen then we ought to take steps to prevent it.
>
> We now only manipulate the cached value if we want the VFS to forget the
> inode. Otherwise, we just mark the inode attributes for revalidation.

Right. That seems reasonable.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>