Re: 2.6.38.6 - state manager constantly respawns

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 02:36:56PM -0400, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-05-20 at 13:52 -0400, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> > > Well, the only candidate explanation for the problem is that my
> > > assumption--that any time the server gets a stateid from the current
> > > boot instance that it doesn't recognize as an active stateid, it is safe
> > > for the server to return EXPIRED--is wrong.
> > >
> > > I don't immediately see why it's wrong, and based on the silence nobody
> > > else does either, but I'm not 100% convinced I'm right either.
> > >
> > > So one approach might be to add server code that makes a better effort
> > > to return EXPIRED only when we're sure it's a stateid from an expired
> > > client, and see if that solves your problem.
> > >
> > > Remind me, did you have an easy way to reproduce your problem?
> >
> > My silence is simply because I'm mystified as to how this can happen.
> > Patching for it is trivial (see below).
> >
> > When the server tells us that our lease is expired, the normal behaviour
> > for the client is to re-establish the lease, and then proceed to recover
> > all known stateids. I don't see how we can 'miss' a stateid that then
> > needs to be recovered afterwards...
>
> Bruce,
>
> If the clientid expired, is it possible that the server may have handed
> out the same numerical short clientid to someone else and that explains
> why the RENEW is succeeding?

Clientid's are created from a u32 counter that's sampled only under the
state lock, so it sounds unlikely.

I think more likely would be some bug affecting the lifetime of a
stateid--e.g. if the server destroyed a lock stateid earlier than it
should in some case, then this would happen.  (Since, as I say, we
assume EXPIRED for any stateid we don't recognize.)

--b.