Re: Strange rpc.svcgssd behavior

Hey-

On Nov 17, 2010, at 10:18 AM, Steve Dickson wrote:

> Sorry for the delayed response... I had my
> head down for last couple of days...
>
> On 11/16/2010 04:42 PM, Chuck Lever wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 16, 2010, at 3:54 PM, Jim Rees wrote:
>>
>>> Chuck Lever wrote:
>>>
>>> Before we go too far down the NM path of no return, I was under the
>>> impression that some applications require the host's name on the localhost
>>> entries in /etc/hosts.  That's why NM puts it there.
>>>
>>> There's nothing invalid about having a hostname on the localhost entries
>>> in /etc/hosts, is there?
>>>
>>> So I wonder if removing NM is really the solution here.
>>>
>>> No, it's not.  I just like to complain about NM.
>>>
>>> The original problem was that rpc.svcgssd couldn't figure out the correct
>>> kerberos realm.  The fix in this particular case, I think, is to set the
>>> realm explicitly in /etc/idmapd.conf.
>>
>> It's having trouble determining the NFS server's hostname.  It needs to find the right nfs/your.host key in /etc/krb5.keytab.
>>
>> I don't know if realm self-discovery is an issue too.
> I think the problem is a reverse lookup is done on hostname that
> is found in the /etc/krb5.keytab. Instead of the FQDN being
> returned, localhost is returned because the FQDN was added to
> the localhost line in /etc/hosts.
>
> Actually I didn't realize it was NM doing that... I thought
> it was the installer...

No matter who does it, I think there are applications (gdm?  rusty recollection) that require this network configuration in /etc/hosts, so our best bet IMO is to fix rpc.svcgssd, or more likely the gss library it depends on, to get it right in this situation.  If we all agree this is a bug (and sounds like we do) then I can create a bug report on bugzilla.linux-nfs.org, as a starting point.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com