Re: Strange rpc.svcgssd behavior

On Nov 16, 2010, at 3:17 PM, Jim Rees wrote:

> Valentijn Sessink wrote:
>
>  Quoting myself: ...
>  Op 16-11-10 16:58, Valentijn Sessink schreef:
>> We have been disabling NM for years now because of this.
>>> Now I reboot, and NetworkManager happily adds "your.host	your" back to the "::1" entry, and rpc.svcgssd fails again.
>
>  ... here's the long standing bug report for Ubuntu:
>  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/8980
>
>  (Been there since 2004). Nobody uses hostnames anymore, I guess ;)
>
> It corrupts your resolv.conf too.  You should always remove Network Manager
> except on mobile hosts that really need it.

Before we go too far down the NM path of no return, I was under the impression that some applications require the host's name on the localhost entries in /etc/hosts.  That's why NM puts it there.

There's nothing invalid about having a hostname on the localhost entries in /etc/hosts, is there?

So I wonder if removing NM is really the solution here.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com