Re: Strange rpc.svcgssd behavior

Sorry for the delayed response... I had my
head down for last couple of days...

On 11/16/2010 04:42 PM, Chuck Lever wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2010, at 3:54 PM, Jim Rees wrote:
>
>> Chuck Lever wrote:
>>
>>  Before we go too far down the NM path of no return, I was under the
>>  impression that some applications require the host's name on the localhost
>>  entries in /etc/hosts.  That's why NM puts it there.
>>
>>  There's nothing invalid about having a hostname on the localhost entries
>>  in /etc/hosts, is there?
>>
>>  So I wonder if removing NM is really the solution here.
>>
>> No, it's not.  I just like to complain about NM.
>>
>> The original problem was that rpc.svcgssd couldn't figure out the correct
>> kerberos realm.  The fix in this particular case, I think, is to set the
>> realm explicitly in /etc/idmapd.conf.
>
> It's having trouble determining the NFS server's hostname.  It needs to find the right nfs/your.host key in /etc/krb5.keytab.
>
> I don't know if realm self-discovery is an issue too.
I think the problem is a reverse lookup is done on hostname that
is found in the /etc/krb5.keytab. Instead of the FQDN being
returned, localhost is returned because the FQDN was added to
the localhost line in /etc/hosts.

Actually I didn't realize it was NM doing that... I thought
it was the installer...

steved.