Re: NFS sillyrename side effect

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 19:50 +0200, Benny Halevy wrote:
> On 2010-10-19 15:32, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 08:40 +0200, Benny Halevy wrote:
> >> The clients can do something similar too, like sillyrenaming the
> >> files onto <mountpoint>/.unlinked_while_opened.<client-id>
> >> Removing this directory when it empties.
> >
> > This would require access, directory create, and delete permissions for
> > the directory '<mountpoint>/', which is not always a given.
>
> Correct. But that's pretty easy to probe :)

Yup, but you'd then need to handle both cases in order to avoid
regressions.

You'd also have to deal with more complex locking: avoiding deadlocks
when creating mountpoint/.unlinked_while_open.<clientid> while still
holding the directory mutex for the unlink(). That basically requires
you to take mutexes in the opposite order to that required for a
cross-directory rename.

IOW: is it really worth the effort?

Note also that userland can do exactly the same thing. You are basically
proposing to do the whole 'trashcan' concept in kernel space...

> > Besides, what if the server reboots, and my clientid changes?
>
> By <client-id> I meant a unique identifier for the client, not necessarily
> the nfsv4.x clientid.  The client could just as well use its ip address
> (to help admins deal with the aftermath in case the client goes away) and its
> boot time, or even a random string.

Trond