Re: Performance results with exofs

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 09:41:29PM +0300, Boaz Harrosh wrote:

> > Untalented writing we can fix, as long as the details are there!

> > Random stupid questions:
> >
> > 	- why do you think the 3of8 arrangement is scaling better than
> > 	  the 8of8?
>
> It's a know problem with a network storage cluster. What happens is
> that with 8of8 all the clients exercise all of the nodes at the same
> time so they are clashing on the network.

OK, so if two clients are both trying to send a stripe of data to the
same OSD data at the same time, absent a switch that could somehow
afford to queue up a full stripe-unit's worth of data, packets get lost?

(Also, out of curiosity: do you know of any papers or documentation that
describe that problem in more detail?)

--b.