Re: Performance results with exofs

On 06/07/2010 09:29 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> Untalented writing we can fix, as long as the details are there!

> Random stupid questions:
>
> 	- why do you think the 3of8 arrangement is scaling better than
> 	  the 8of8?

It's a know problem with a network storage cluster. What happens is
that with 8of8 all the clients exercise all of the nodes at the same
time so they are clashing on the network.

With 3of8 each node can still saturate it's link. (3 was chosen carefully from the
first test) and some nodes talk to some OSDs while other talk to other, so there is
more chance of pairs * 1GBit at the same time.

(The dirty trick I did was insert dummy files so the 4 client test will exercise all
 8 devices. Otherwise the stupid exofs round robin algorithm would only exercise 4+3
 devices.)

> 	- Have you tried any other workloads?  (Perfectly reasonable
> 	  that simple write throughput would be the first thing to
> 	  check--I'm just curious.)

Never got to it. Busy with Bakeathon preparations. Would like too very much

Thanks
Boaz