Re: nfs + Reiser4

On 04/08/10 23:33, Trond Myklebust wrote:
On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 23:03 +0200, gg@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
OK , I just tried this on ext3 partition and I'm not seeing the erratic
behaviour.  So this may be down to a bad reaction between nfs and R4 as
I suspected.

However, I am still seeing vers=2 , does this indicate some problem in
initial negociation and a drop back to nfs2 ?

/dev/root on / type nfs
(rw,vers=2,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,namlen=255,hard,nointr,nolock,proto=udp,timeo=11,retrans=3,sec=sys,addr=192.168.1.3)

I believe that nfsroot always defaults to vers=2 and udp unless you
explicitly set the 'nfsvers=3' and 'proto=tcp' mount options.

It also defaults to 4k rsize and wsize (set 'rsize=0,wsize=0' if you
want the client to autonegotiate their values)...

Cheers
   Trond

Thanks,

I was refering to man nfs which states that nfs will always try nfs3 and if it fails falls back to ver 2. Maybe man nfs is not the definitive reference for what is in the kernel if this has changed recently.

I've pretty much concluded the main issues very nfs not playing well with reiser4. The doc suggests this is a gray area and indeed it seems to be pretty much untested since this kind of grossly bad behavious would not be missed.

I had some anomalies circa 2.6.20 that were less severe but the current state of play is frankly pretty unusable.

Since there seems to be an implied policy of not testing with any fs not in mainline kernel I'll just have to copy the nfs structure to an ext3 partition.

Thanks for you comments and help.

regards.