Re: nfs + Reiser4

On 04/08/10 00:49, Trond Myklebust wrote:
On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 23:33 +0200, gg@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Some more info on the machines in question.

server: gentoo linux 2.6.29 kernel patched for R4
.net-fs/nfs-utils-1.2.1  Recently added nfs4 to existing nfs3 in kernel.
This did not seem to improve/deteriorate the problem. This has been an
issue ever since I used nfs to remote boot the client.

Client. ARM SBC also running 2.6.29 nfs3. Similar issues seen when
running manufacturer's 2.4 kernel. Suggests problem is on server.

Redboot bootstrap loads kernel via http then boots with nfsroot supplied
by server.

All specific issues related here are as seen yesterday with both running
2.6.29.

The set up is damn near unusable as it is behaving now . Files are
constantly out of sync. Changes seem to stay or disappear in a more or
less arbitrary fashion (ie no percievable repeatable pattern or cause).
Files often get some kind of merge state which is neither the state on
the server , nor the last saved state on the client.

/dev/root on / type nfs
(rw,vers=2,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,namlen=255,hard,nointr,nolock,\proto=udp,timeo=\
11,retrans=3,sec=sys,addr=192.168.1.3)

I note vers=2 here, does this maybe indicate some trouble with the
initial negotiation and fallback to nfs2 ?

I don't have one clear , reproducible problem because the results are so
erratic. But just editting a file with vi on the client and reopening it
will give incorrect results 8 time out of 10.

The reboot issue killed me. I thought is desperation that that would at
least mean I got a clean copy.

OK, so clearly not a userspace NFS issue then.

Just out of interest, are you able to reproduce this problem with other
underlying filesystems? Reiser4 has never been merged into the mainline
kernel, so I doubt that any one of us has a test setup.

Cheers
   Trond

OK , I just tried this on ext3 partition and I'm not seeing the erratic behaviour. So this may be down to a bad reaction between nfs and R4 as I suspected.

However, I am still seeing vers=2 , does this indicate some problem in initial negociation and a drop back to nfs2 ?

/dev/root on / type nfs (rw,vers=2,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,namlen=255,hard,nointr,nolock,proto=udp,timeo=11,retrans=3,sec=sys,addr=192.168.1.3)

regards,