Re: unmount -l does not send unmount request to the server

On Fri, 2010-03-19 at 16:22 -0400, Chuck Lever wrote:
> On 03/14/2010 04:40 PM, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> > Le 19/01/2010 17:37, Chuck Lever a écrit :
> >> As far as I understand it, "-l" means the kernel will do the local
> >> detach from the system's file name space whenever there are no more
> >> users (ie entirely asynchronously).  I don't think umount2(MNT_DETACH)
> >> indicates whether the kernel was able to completely unmount that file
> >> system by the time the call returns, so there's perhaps no way for
> >> umount.nfs to know whether it should send the UMNT request.  If the
> >> server is slow or unresponsive, that file system won't be unmounted
> >> until long after the umount.nfs command has exited.
> >>
> >> This shouldn't be much of a big deal, since the server's rmtab is
> >> "ornamental" according to the man page.  No one should rely on it being
> >> accurate.
> >>
> >> A possible way to fix this is to have the kernel send the UMNT.
> > It makes sense, but it doesn't seem to trigger much interest :)
> >
> > Should I open a bug somewhere, to ensure the issue won't be forgotten ?
>
> You might consider filing a bug in the NFSv4 bugzilla on linux-nfs.org.

1) What does this have to do with NFSv4?

2) I don't have to do lazy umounts in order to confuse umount.nfs.
Consider

mount -t nfs foo:/bar /mnt1
mount --bind /mnt1 /mnt2
umount /mnt1
umount /mnt2

3) Even the kernel doesn't know what to do in all cases, because it
doesn't know whether or not a mount rpc call was sent or not for each
mountpoint that you do a 'umount /mnt' on. Consider the case where you
do a clone(CLONE_NEWNS), and then the user does 'umount /mnt' in _one_
of those namespaces.

IOW: Please just accept that this is a feature, not a bug. Nobody
promised you that the mountd statistics would be 100% accurate, and
we're certainly not going to waste time trying to make it so.

Trond