Re: unmount -l does not send unmount request to the server

On 03/14/2010 04:40 PM, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
Le 19/01/2010 17:37, Chuck Lever a écrit :
As far as I understand it, "-l" means the kernel will do the local
detach from the system's file name space whenever there are no more
users (ie entirely asynchronously).  I don't think umount2(MNT_DETACH)
indicates whether the kernel was able to completely unmount that file
system by the time the call returns, so there's perhaps no way for
umount.nfs to know whether it should send the UMNT request.  If the
server is slow or unresponsive, that file system won't be unmounted
until long after the umount.nfs command has exited.

This shouldn't be much of a big deal, since the server's rmtab is
"ornamental" according to the man page.  No one should rely on it being
accurate.

A possible way to fix this is to have the kernel send the UMNT.
It makes sense, but it doesn't seem to trigger much interest :)

Should I open a bug somewhere, to ensure the issue won't be forgotten ?

You might consider filing a bug in the NFSv4 bugzilla on linux-nfs.org.

--
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com