Re: NFSv4 referrals - custom (non-2049) port numbers in fs_locations?

On Mon, 2024-02-05 at 19:53 +0000, Chuck Lever III wrote:

> > On Feb 5, 2024, at 11:17 AM, Trond Myklebust
> > <trondmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2024-02-05 at 15:13 +0000, Chuck Lever III wrote:
> > >

> > > A DNS label is just a hostname (fully-qualified or not). It
> > > never includes a port number.
> > >
> > > According to RFC 8881, fs_location4's server field can contain:
> > >
> > >  - A DNS label (no port number; 2049 is assumed)
> > >
> > >  - An IP presentation address (no port number; 2049 is assumed)
> > >
> > >  - a universal address
> > >
> > > A universal address is an IP address plus a port number.
> > > Therefore
> > > a universal address is the only way an alternate port can be
> > > communicated in an NFSv4 referral.
> >
> > That's not strictly true. RFC8881 has little to say about how you
> > are
> > to go about using the DNS hostname provided by fs_locations4. There
> > is
> > just some non-normative and vague language about using DNS to look
> > up
> > the addresses.
> >
> > The use of DNS service records do allow you to look up the full IP
> > address and port number (i.e. the equivalent of a universal
> > address)
> > given a fully qualified hostname and a service. While we do not use
> > the
> > hostname that way in the Linux NFS client today, I see nothing in
> > the
> > spec that would appear to disallow it at some future time.
>
> We absolutely could do that. But first a service name would need to
> be
> reserved, yes?
>
> https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml?search=dns

What's wrong with the one that is already assigned? I'm talking about:

nfs                2049        tcp    Network File System - Sun    [Brent_Callaghan]                                     [Brent_Callaghan]                                                                                                                                        Defined TXT keys: path=<path to mount point>
                                      Microsystems
nfs                2049        udp    Network File System - Sun    [Brent_Callaghan]                                     [Brent_Callaghan]                                                                                                                                        Defined TXT keys: path=<path to mount point>
                                      Microsystems
nfs                2049       sctp    Network File System                                                                                                                                                    [RFC5665]                                                            Defined TXT keys: path=<path to mount point>

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer, Hammerspace