Re: NFS for millions of files

Of course fragmentation doesn't matter if there is no data IO...You
true...I usually got significant performance with rszie/wsize around
4K, while MTU was at 1.5 k.....As you said right balance  between the
performance gains at the RPC/UDP stack and fragmentation overhead at
L3/L2 stack....

May be you can try adding more threads on the server, and if it is
MIPIO capable, you can find better performance....and lastly NFS is
not meant for performance...Until you use NFSoRDMA pr pNFS....As Chuck
mentioned, sequential LOG based file systems based NFS server  offer
better performance at a server storage level..

And if you have a real need, i  have created an NFS load balancer that
 brings superior performance(better than local FS for large meta data
intensive workloads or IO is spread to different files) for my
previous employer...You can find more details here.. Its not open
source...But i can have them contact you and give you a trial
version...

http://www.calsoftlabs.com/whitepapers/net-nfs.html

thanks

--
Best regards,
Peter Chacko

NetDiox computing systems,
Network storage & OS  training and research.
Bangalore, India.
www.netdiox.com
080 2664 0708