NFS for millions of files

Hi, I'm trying to setup a server that we can create millions of files on over
NFS.  When I run our creation benchmark locally  I can get around 3000 files/
second in the configuration we're using now, but only around 300/second over
NFS.  It's mounted as this:

rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,hard,bg,nointr,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,tcp,
nfsvers=3,timeo=600,actimeo=600,nocto

When I mount the same FS over localhost instead of across the lan, it performs
about full speed (the 3000/sec).  Anyone have any ideas what I might tweak or
look at?

We're going to be testing various XFS/LVM configs to get the best performance,
but right out the gate, NFS having a 10:1 penalty of performance doesn't bode
well.

Thanks in advance,
Jason