Re: mount.nfs: access denied by server

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 17:17 -0500, Tom Haynes wrote:
> Trond Myklebust wrote:
> >> Should it recover in the case where the administrator suddenly removes
> >> krb5 from the list, and replaces it with krb5i on all subdirectories
> >> of ../../.. relative to your current working directory?
> >>

> > Sorry. Let me be more specific...
> >
> > Say you have
> >
> > /foo sec=krb5,rw
> >
> > and the administrator adds a new rule
> >
> > /foo/bar sec=krb5i,rw
> >
> > Will your autonegotiator be able to recover processes that are working
> > in /foo/bar/... without disturbing those working in /foo/baz/... ?
> >

> I'll let someone who knows the client give the real response, but
> consider two
> threads, one in /foo/baz and one in /foo/bar.
>
> The one in /foo/baz will never get a WRONGSEC.
>
> The one in /foo/bar may never get one either - depending on the server
> implementation.
> i.e., the server has probably put the FSID in the FH. The client is
> handing back
> what is probably a non-volatile FH and the server has to honor it. And
> the server
> may have no clue that the FH is under a new mount point.
>
> What happens if the client redrives a LOOKUP of the directory entry? It
> should
> discover that the FHs no longer match and do some sort of recovery.

I was thinking of the case in which /foo/bar is not actually a mount
point. :-)

If we all agree that the server can only remove security flavours when
crossing a mount point, then all is well, however the protocol doesn't
strictly speaking say that has to be the case.
That worries me...

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer