Re: can't modify /etc/exports without blowing away existing clients

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:20:20PM -0800, John Z. Bohach wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I modify /etc/exports and re-run exportfs -a -r, newly
> added/removed/modified entries take effect, EXCEPT that all existing
> clients lose their current mounts.  Existing clients have to umount
> then mount NFS filesystems that were not even modified.
>
> Is this intentional behavior?

No, that shouldn't happen.  As trond says, check whether you have the
"nfsd" filesystem mounted.

> If I try to manually add a new directory
> for export, and just use "exportfs -i ..." and specify the new
> directory to export that way, all existing entries in /etc/exports are
> gratuitously UNexported, all clients lose their current mounts, and
> only the one entry specified via the command line of "exportfs -i ..."
> is exported.  This doesn't seem like intentional behavior?  Or is it
> just the exportfs program that's broken?

I didn't know -i; looking at the man page, I think that's may be what's
intended.  (I haven't looked at the code.)  Why not just drop the "-i"?

--b.