can't modify /etc/exports without blowing away existing clients

Hello,

When I modify /etc/exports and re-run exportfs -a -r, newly
added/removed/modified entries take effect, EXCEPT that all existing
clients lose their current mounts.  Existing clients have to umount
then mount NFS filesystems that were not even modified.

Is this intentional behavior?  If I try to manually add a new directory
for export, and just use "exportfs -i ..." and specify the new
directory to export that way, all existing entries in /etc/exports are
gratuitously UNexported, all clients lose their current mounts, and
only the one entry specified via the command line of "exportfs -i ..."
is exported.  This doesn't seem like intentional behavior?  Or is it
just the exportfs program that's broken?

I'm running linux-2.6.24.4 and using exportfs from nfs-utils-1.1.3
though I've noticed this behavior on older versions of both.

Is there some NFS option I'm supposed to use in /etc/fstab on the
clients to keep this remount thing from being necessary?  I'm pretty
sure I tried both soft and hard mounts.  I'm currently using TCP as the
mount transport layer...would UDP fix this issue, I haven't tested
that...either way, even with TCP, it would be a big blow against using
TCP as the mount transport if umount/mount sequence was required on the
clients everytime time the server re-ran exportfs, which is what is
happening now.

Anybody know what's going on?

Thanks,

John

P.S.:  Please keep me in the CC list, I'm not subscribed to the list.